Tuesday, April 20, 2010

PLN 26

What matters in the world today is an article on hotjobs.yahoo.com "Ten Phrases That Can Sink Your Resume" by Liz Ryan. The article is about things in resumes that may have been helpful at one point, but now fall flat and hurt your chances. In the article the author lists ten things that are traditionally placed in resumes, such as "Results-oriented professional." Ryan explains that anyone could say this, thus it doesn't gain you anything in the employer's eyes. She claims that it would be better to replace phrases like this with examples of things you have done in the past, or saying "I love to solve thorny supply-chain problems." I think that this is a very important article for kids our age, because we are searching for our first jobs, and we want to make a good impression. I personally will think about these things when I compose my own resume, and will most definitely recommend that my friends read this article for advice. I think this matters to the world, because a lot of people were fired or laid off during the recent recession, and many people are looking for jobs. This article could help people to regain employment, and by getting jobs, they would have money to invest back into the economy. In the end this would help the economy to rise back up to more comfortable levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment