Monday, January 25, 2010

PLN 4

What matters in the world today is the on going argument about whether laptop computers or pen and paper should be used in schools. Recently Dr. Warschauer visited a few LPS schools to research just that. The only problem is that he only visited fourth and fifth grade classrooms. The high schools are more computer oriented than elementary schools. Arapahoe for example has wi-fi access every where in the building, and I use a laptop everyday in English. This matters to me because I have experienced the use of both in the process of my education. I personally like laptops better than paper, mostly because of spell check, but also because it allows research to be done right there in class. Laptops also make us more connected, with email and blogs, we can talk to anyone. The only problem I see with this on going struggle is that the kids who have experienced both pen and paper, and regular laptop use, have no say in the matter. Schools could suddenly decide that computers are not the right way to go and take away the laptops. That would hurt the kids who had benefited and improved because of computers. So my solution to the argument is let the student decide if they want to write on paper or with a keyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment